Thursday, May 14, 2015

Live and Let Live

Although my beliefs line up more towards the right side of the political spectrum, I consider myself more of an independent. I like my rights to my guns un-infringed, my taxes low, and my liberty secured. I also think that abortion is a woman’s choice, stem cell research has tremendous value, and that marijuana should be legalized and taxed. I don’t get caught up with associating myself with a single party because that leads to narrow-minded thinking. I tend to take a straight forward, common sense approach to issues that come up. One of these issues, and the big one hitting SCOTUS, is the one about gay marriage and whether the states have the right to annul gay marriages based on their constitution.
In America, heterosexual couples that are married count as married in every other state. Homosexual couples should be no different. There is no reason to disband a couple’s marriage because they want to relocate to a state with laws against gay marriage. Doing so would put gay couples in a second-class citizen status which is immoral not mention unconstitutional.
The Constitution protects the right of citizens to marry and the question being brought to SCOTUS is whether or not gays are included in that right.\
“No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.”
It sounds pretty straight-forward to me.
As an aside, I think it’s a little ridiculous why so many people are opposed to gay marriage. The main reasons for which are: “It’s against MY religion” or “You’ll go to hell!” or “Eww that’s icky.” Absolutely ridiculous. These same people are the ones who talk about keeping big government out of people’s lives, yet they want a nationwide ban on marriage between two consenting adults. Pushing their religious beliefs on someone else’s life and expecting the government to back them up is asinine.
I say live and let live. There’s no logical reason to ban gay marriage and the states have no right to revoke people’s marriages. I predict a victory for the gay community in this case.

No comments:

Post a Comment